Old 08-27-11, 02:36 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There isn't so much questioning. Yes there is a court case but this issue is not even close to being on the cycling community's radar in Canada. I'd say we are more worried about cycling infrastructure and a legal system that dismisses cagers killing multiple people on rural stretches of road. Maybe when we win some of those battles and get to a safer state of affairs we'll turn our attention to helmets and how they cramp our style and ruin our hair-dos.
I meant "questioning" as in "questioning their effect", not social attention.

Not really. If those paying for health care (general population) think helmets should be worn then its not. Scientific/statistically proof doesn't enter the equation. Law makers can and will pass laws, rules and form public policy based on public perception without conclusive scientific studies. Want proof? We already have bike helmet laws
Oh, I have no doubt lawmakers and uninformed public will work to pass stupid laws; from that standpoint, you're completely correct. But your post seemed to say we should have penalties for those who choose not to wear helmets by making them exempt from coverage or making them sign a waiver. I'm pointing out that's a silly idea, and while I think the whole concept is silly and defeats the purpose of insurance, it's especially silly for helmets, which have shaky evidence at best that prove effectiveness, unlike smokes. I was simply refuting your point, and saying we should not have a penalty for those who choose not to wear a helmet, since there's not much verifiable proof they are significantly more unsafe. Practically, society will do any bat**** insane thing it wants to... I just don't have to support it.

Besides - if you push hard enough for scientific proof law makers might up the ante and insist on DOT approved helmets. Just imagine your hair-do after cycling an hour in a sweaty 10lb motorcycle helmet. It would probably look like Squiggy's:
Judging by other areas, we'd see a huge drop in cycling.

That alone is a good reason to push against it, IMO.

While this could be an improvement for some, I think most would rather focus on infrastructure and enforcement issues than rock the boat about helmets.
I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I see nothing wrong with educating people about what helmets are and are not capable of (rather than living thinking a magic hat will save them from a 2 ton hunk of steel), along with promoting infrastructure and increasing riding in general. Both can be done... at the same time even. Look, Ma, no hands!