Old 08-27-11, 10:00 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
,,,,But dude it doesn't matter because you all define car free differently......
The whole point of this thread is so we can find a commonly accepted definition of the words. You are much too literal-minded to understand this, evidently. But the main thrust is that if we all agree on a working definition, we don't have to split hairs constantly. Maybe we'll all have to give a little, make some concessions.

Personally, it makes sens to define a car as a motor vehicle that is owned, leased or primarilyused by an individual/household/family. From this the definition of carfree follows naturally--the absence of a car as defined. I strongly suggest we continue to use this definition, and end the quibbling now.

The definition of carlight is trickier. For many people on this forum, carlight means that there is a car in the household, but the carlight individual doesn't make use of the car. For others, carlight means they own a car but they rearely use it, and most of their travel is done by non-car means.Personally, I could live with either definition or some combination of the two.

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
....I ask what was the intent when to forum title was posted. Don't shoot the messenger. Shoot whoever put the definition in the forum title....
The title and description of the subforum were rashly and impulsively determined by a moderator (Koffee Brown) who was soon thereafter fired and banned for, among other things, making rash and impulsive decisions. I personally don't care for either the title or the description. I imagine (but I don't know for sure) that the admins would agree to change one or both if there was a groundswell of support for an alternative.

But more to the point, I don't feel we're "stuck" with this definition when it comes to settling on a working definition of the terms we use every day. As long as we follow forum guidelines, we can define terms any way we want to, as long as participants know and accept any non-standard definitions.

"Think Outside the Cage"