Old 08-27-11, 12:45 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radshark
I think that helmet laws are different from province to province. I think Ontario (for example) states that anyone under age 18? must wear a helmet.

Let people decide how they want to ensure their health and let them take responsibility for it. Perhaps the provincial health care system refused to pay for head injuries sustained while cycling without a helmet. That might sober some cyclist up.
yes, helmet laws differ from province to province usually falling under something titled the "Highway Traffic Act" for what ever province you are in.

Maybe the provincial health care system should not pay for any treatment where the mechanism of injury was preventable. Tad-ah, I just reduced the healthcare budget by 95%.

At the very least, my plan gets more people riding as the majority of the health care profession would no longer be able to afford cars due to recent layoffs.

My heart weeps for all those potentially homeless Cervelos.

Really, If you think changing a helmet law in provincial legislation is hard try changing the definition of the Canada Health Act.

The vast majority of Canadian provincial traffic acts do not extend the helmet law to adults, quite frankly this is IMO reasonable.

Most acts include mandatory helmet laws for minors which although I disagree with it, is reasonable and no one will vigorously argue against it though personally I would like to see it reduced to an age where parents no longer have constant supervision over their children and they are bright enough to make decisions on their own, for example 13 years of age.

Impounding bikes for non compliance is unreasonable. Motor vehicles get impounded for far more serious offenses such as DUI's and street racing. Impounding a vehicle for non seat-belt use or tire wear wouldn't fly.

Really, arguments aside, I what I really want to do is punch in the face everyone who says: "well, health care shouldn't pay for head injuries if the cyclist isn't wearing a helmet."

What we need in North America is more people riding bikes. Every law that serves as a barrier should be struck and laws such as LA's anti harassment law and the Netherlands' practice of holding motorists at fault in all vehicle-bicycle collision should be encouraged. Federal and Provincial budgets should only approve funding for road construction and resurfacing if it includes provisions for bike lanes where population densities merit it, similar to the green space that developers must plan for.

Make safety equipment, kids bikes, and all bike maintenance tax free.

Ride

Last edited by trustnoone; 08-27-11 at 01:10 PM.