View Single Post
Old 08-27-11, 05:27 PM
kiltedcelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USS not popular?

I'm looking to build my own recumbent sometime this winter - a combination wood frame combined with parts of metal frame donor bikes. I'm planning on making it 700c front/rear with under seat steering. I was perusing the "show your recumbent" thread and saw that the vast majority of bents are over seat steering. It seems to me that USS would be the most neutral riding position, making the most of the comfort factor of bent riding. However, riding my DF bike on the local bike path, the few bents I see are again, almost exclusively OSS. I bet this is one of those dividing lines just like the opinions on which is better - DF or bent. I have read about how the OSS allows one to pull on the bars somewhat improving climbing performance, but then again, I've also read about USS bents where pulling on the bars doesn't matter because your pedaling technique makes more difference. In all honesty, I've never ridden a recumbent except for exercise bikes and I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for problems making my first bent in an USS design.