xray1978
Degenerate Grouch

Bikes: Kona Hahanna, Schwinn Speedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeydentity
eherm....as a paleoanthropologist myself, this paleodiet thing really rubs me the wrong way. No dairy? that's silly. Humans evolved lactase persistence (the ability to digest lactose) some six or more different times across Africa and Europe and it's definitely been a big contributed to health and population growth. No grains? Well, I'm not a fan because it makes my belly big, but the idea that it lead to a rise of disease is a little silly....except maybe caries (cavities). The association between these foods (especially agriculture) and disease is because of the association between these foods and population density!! And, perhaps to a decrease in the amount of protein eaten (still many areas around the world eat almost all bread throughout the week because it's cheap and tastes good!)

so, if it works for you, fine. but this whole "Paleo" pretense is bunk.
Not to be contrary, but isn't the divide between the Paleolithic and the Neolithic the use of domesticated plants and animals? It makes sense to me from that standpoint that a paleodiet would not include grains or dairy because during the Paleolithic there was no domestication; therefore, it would not seem likely that a paleolithic diet would include grain in significant quantities nor would it include dairy. I would not want to try to milk a wild animal.