Old 08-29-11, 07:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Rion
I don't understand either. the fairing maybe, since the windchill can make you super cold, but I don't see the reason for the rear box and I definitely don't understand how it "winterizes" the bike. I was expecting some winter tires and clothes when I clicked on this thread...
Well just quickly, fenders and winter cycling clothes are not the best protection since they only partially block wind and the elements. My hat's off to those hardy souls whose paths I crossed last winter, all bundled up and red faced fighting against the wind and drizzle. But to put it bluntly I was typically wearing short sleeves or work clothes. It's a matter of preference.

The tail box is the first and in some ways the most important piece. You have to carry your stuff, preferably dry and conveniently. You've got to have that worked out before trying to design or build a fairing - how are you going to balance weight, lateral surface area or shape if your cargo area isn't set?

I'll be bending an acrylic windshield this week and hopefully construct the front end panels this weekend. It should be more clear then what the purpose is.