View Single Post
Old 08-31-11, 04:55 AM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of luck on saddle adjustment; it's definitely needed for those of us with issues. I've been reviewing the subject in books and on-line as I'm trying to keep my right knee pain-free and not over-stress my hamstrings. My knee responds well to a saddle farther back and higher. But that combination has put too much stress on the hamstrings.

There are six, yes six rules for just setting saddle height that I'm aware of from reputable sources. And there's a variation normally used for trail riding. They all can and do give different results. They are all valid depending how you ride (like cadence for example) and your leg/knee structure and discrepancies. There's also a factor tied to one's flexibility. I've had to work on flexibility and it's made a noticeable difference.

Fore-aft depends again on how you ride and the knee can be a cm or more ahead of the pedal spindle to several behind or more. Saddle tilt is mostly recommended as level, but some like a degree or more up or down. I prefer about a degree and a half up for the relatively flat terrain of N Florida and level for the mountains. I leave it at about a degree up.

On measuring saddle tilt if you are sensitive to it, you need to measure the slope of the garage/slab between the two wheel contact patches or you'll be off. Since it's mostly a relative measurement, just making sure the wheels contact the exact same places for the measurement works if the slab is not too far off. I found some places where the bike sits level.

And then, there's the saddle design vs one's anatomy which is a whole other bucket of worms. Luckily, I solved that problem years ago for both my road and mountain bike.

I appear to be closing-in on an adequate solution in my case, but I need at least a half-dozen more mountain rides to be sure. The saddle has been moved about a half inch forward and little more than that upwards relative to what I've been using for the last couple of years. Climbing has even improved. I seem to do much better at nearer 20 degree knee angles than the more typically recommended 30-35 degrees.

Al