Old 08-31-11, 09:28 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclocross bike as a road bike?

I have a cross bike (Fuji Cross Comp, with 105's) that I purchased in April and have fallen in love with. Use it for commuting, will maybe do a novice criterium Saturday, and in a week will start our PsycoCross races on it. I really love the bike.

But once I start racing, it's gonna get muddy, maybe damaged, etc etc. So, I want a road bike too, so I have one rigged for the road and one stripped down and rigged for the track.

What would be the downside of just getting a bit nicer cross bike and using it as a road bike? Is there really going to be that much difference between the cross bike and a comparably equipped cross bike? I realize that I will need to put a different pair of rings on the front to call it a roadie, but is there any other real downside?

I'm a 50 year old Clyde (hoping to move from weight category to an age related one soon), who likes centuries, who likes to push himself on training rides (typ 45-60 miles), who commutes about a 18 mile round trip, and just loves to spend time on the bike.

I appreciate your perspective and opinions.

Last edited by david58; 08-31-11 at 09:28 PM. Reason: clarity