Old 09-01-11, 01:43 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This bike is indeed pristine. I got all hot and bothered when I picked it up. Almost makes me want a bike with brifters(Yeah, total retrogrouch friction downtube shifter guy here). The only thing is that the headset seems a bit stiff. I did not have time to look at it.
It was owned buy a guy who worked at the only shop I would ever let work on my stuff. He was a brilliant mechanic, but not so good with money. He gave this bike to my friend when he caught him skipping out on rent. It has been sitting in his storage room for about three years. I made sure that the tires were kept inflated, but thats it.
Honestly, when he brought it by, and told me he wants to "ride around camping on the coast on it for a few days" I almost crapped my pants. I told him about spoke counts, stay length, razor sharp handling that would be exhausting, pulled down all my tourers and randos to compare, let him ride a mountain bike(I am thinking about giving him a steel trek antelope that I toured on, just to save this bike) I had to tell him that a backpack was possible, anything is possible, but not advisable. I pretty much had him convinced after riding a couple of my bikes. The clincher was that my road is flint, and I pointed out that he could not ride the merlin on my road(I carry my delicate road bikes 3/4 mile to the pavement), but all my others were fine, and on tour, when stealth camping, you never know what you might have to ride on.

Ultimately it is his bike. He can melt it down for scrap if he wants. But I appreciate everyones input.

Last edited by shipwreck; 09-01-11 at 02:07 AM. Reason: my spelling is terrable