View Single Post
Old 09-01-11, 10:58 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
...I'm hoping to get a little more into long distance riding, having completed my first century. I've been riding a converted hardtail mountain bike with road slicks and I'm looking for a more proper Rando bike. I figure I have about $1,000 that I could come up with if I sell my car, wife and first born, so I'll have to keep it to about that price.....
There is no such thing as a "proper" rando bike. What I would suggest is that do keep your mtn bike for a while and participate in some brevets. See what's out there and what you think might work for you. Take some notes and make you're purchase accordingly. There is no guarantee that what anyone of us thinks is a "proper" rando bike will make you happy. Trial and error is the best teacher. We can give you suggestions that might help fine tune your ride. There is lots of great experience on this board.
As far as your fit goes, that is one of the biggest factors for being successful. Don't mess around with that. If you don't know how to do it you need to do some research and find a fitter that knows the issues of long distance riders. You are better off spending money on a good fitter than an expensive bike. Nobody here is going to be able to fit you properly over the internet...