Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
Today is the second time I've been passed by a guy on a hybrid bike, he cruises past me and pulls away at approx. 22/24 mph. I can catch him but he's really fast and I'm working surprisingly hard to catch him. The thing I can't figure out is how he does it. He's on a hybrid, with platform pedals, upright riding position, sneakers and, athletic shorts/shirt and backpack. He barely seems to be pedalling and, I don't see any indication of electric assist (I know of 2 others who use this, one of whom said his top speed is about 21 mph). Not only does he pass me (mind you I typically cruise at about 19/20 mph) but, he also accelerates well, for example; after slowing and turning on to the ramp for the 14th Street bridge, he's pulling away unless I stand on it and really push. Oh well, not a big deal, just perplexing, we all know the signs of a fast cyclist but, this guy exibits none of the obvious-with the exception of real speed. I'm pretty sure there's a motor there somewhere. I must find it!
The guy is probably on the juice.

Consider myself to be fast enough to rarely get passed by anyone but there are times when I wonder what the guys riding mountain bikes and carrying backpacks are on when they blow by me like I am parked.

I think they might have this thing called "youth" working for them.