BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
They hire people pay, wages ,shop rent, taxes insurance electricity and heat and a burglar alarm cost and inventory stock overhead.
out of the difference between DIY, and hiring professionals.
True, and while the idea of paying someone else to do a brake job on my car is anathema, because I have the space, knowledge and tools required to do a complete job, including replacing and bleeding the fluid and even rebuilding calipers if necessary, I totally understand why many people opt to trade their money for another person's time. I further understand that a certain amount of overhead, including liability for consequences of a bad job or part is included in the cost of said time.

I also find it interesting that people think bikes are always easier to work on than cars. Cars live in a bolt-on world. Water pumps and distributor caps, and, well, most everything else on a car bolts right on and, unlike a derailleur, requires no adjustment of their operating parameters in order to function. Imagine a world where the input and output volume of a water pump had to be adjusted for the car every time the part was changed! There would likely be a lot more broken down cars, and fixing them would probably cost a lot more.....