View Single Post
Old 10-24-02, 12:59 PM
NIBYAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really need to learn how to fix a flat on your bike. It's not hardand it takes less than five minutes and requires absolutely no tools other than a tire pump. I always carry a spare tube with patches as a backup, just in case I get the rare second flat in one ride (It happens). Just flip the quick release (brakes and wheel), take off the wheel, grab the tire at the top of the wheel with both hands and pull it towards you and down (take off the valve stem nut first if you use them) rip out the old tube. Then carefully run your fingers inside the tire to see if you can find the cause of the flat (I've had dozens of flats and have only once found what caused any of them) remove the offensive sharp thing and toss it far from the riding surface. Slip one side of the tire back on the rim, stuff the tube in the tire and give the pump a stroke or two to partially fill the tube to avoid pinching it between the rim and the tire. Next, pop the other side of the tire on the rim (If you have dainty fingers you can use a tire bar/levers but they are not necessary). Put a few more pumps in it check that the tire is evenly seated in the rim them sit down and pump it up. I've seen people mount the wheel back on the bike then struggle to balance the bike while trying to pump up the wheel (don't make it harder than it has to be). When you're done pumping it up, mount the wheel, set the brakes, stick the old tube in your pocket and you're on your way. When I get home I toss the old tube in the trash and put a new one in my seat bag. Others brag about riding a tube with 15 patches, that's up to you.