View Single Post
Old 09-03-11, 07:07 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by boffenbec
planet bike has a $40 2 watt that i use. it actually has a regular and a bright setting for the light. that might give some drivers the hint if you shine that in their face and it wouldn't be as bulky as caring a flashlight with you. hopefully you won't need the pepper spray.
I have a PB 2W and it's pretty useless except to be seen. The strobe mode looks like it would be seizure inducing, but the light isn't all that bright and the beam is very narrow. My Niterider 250 would be much more effective. I once turned it to strobe mode while riding down the street and I thought I'd put myself into a seizure because the light kept reflecting off the road.

Originally Posted by Milice
do you dimm yor lights as the approach you?
The brights on a car are not just brighter, they are aimed higher also. The regular or low headlight setting usually has a horizontal cut off that prevents blinding oncoming traffic. The high beams do not and are pointed higher.

On my car, the lows are 1000 lumens each and the optics have a decent upward cut off. The highs are 1700 lumens each but the optics have no upward cut off.

A laser pointer could be devastating too if you want to get your message across with a lightweight object.