Old 09-03-11, 07:11 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Do You Follow the 50+'s Oldest Sticky Thread?

For some strange reason, in August, 2004 - shortly after the 50+ forum started, as I recall - I started a thread called "Special Thread for 50+ yo Bicyclists.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-yo-Bicyclists

The 50+ (and all BFN forums) were much smaller then, and my piurpose was to let new-to-the-forum folks, and especially beginners, know some of the ranges and levels of bicycling of those who were 50+. Specifically, I wanted them to know that 50+'rs ride thousands of miles, ride road and mountain and tandem and recumbent and hybrid and comfort bikes - a full range, not just comfort and hybrid bikes (this seemed to me to be a common theme at the time - that 50+'rs should pretty much be limited to comfort and hybrid bikes and take 10 mile rides).

I quickly made up 7 questions without a lot of thought, thinking the thread would quickly die.

Well, it hasn't died yet. Folks still post there quite regularly, and it has become a rich source of currently untapped information, spanning 7 years and hundreds of responses.

I had, at one time, considered an article based on the responses - but the sheer amount of information has overwhelmed me.

However, I think it would make a fine Master's project for someone in the PE/Athletic department of a university to organize the data and mine it for whatever gold is there to be found.

Burr has kindly regularly welcomed folks who post there.

So, do you ever read this?

Personally, I am amazed that it is still active after all these years.

There are some very interesting stories/datum there!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-03-11 at 07:26 PM.