scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
I like
I have that modified Dry 2500 lumens 3 x XML on my helmet that strobe big time. Probably need more than pepper spray. Guarantee to piss off any drivers.

OP, what kind of lights you have setup on your bike? I find that too little of a light and car easily identify me as a cyclist and don't think they have the need to dim down. Too bright of a light and I find those who running on low beam will flick their high beam at me. Somewhere around 600 to 1500 lumens is where I seem to have cars thinking I'm a motorcycle and they turn their headlight down if they were running their highs and yet not have any courtesy warning from those feeling that they are blinded. Then again that's just my area in the city and most likely will differ than if it was on the highway or your area.
I have two lights, both flashing. One is mounted on the handlebars and is pointed slightly down so as to illuminate the road ahead. The other is mounted down on the fork, aimed along the ground in front of me(a Planet Bike, Beamer 3). Neither of these is powerful, but they make me visible and provide enough light for me to see.

There is no question that these are on a bicycle. There is also no question that these are not a problem for an oncoming car -- neither is bright enough and neither is aimed at the oncoming driver.

In all cases, the cars already have their brights on. I think they are used to driving out there like that, probably because of deer.