bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ande7977
I currently live in St. Paul, MN and have ridden my built up fixie 1980's Bridgestone through the summer, but want the following in an a geared bike:

- Ability to fit bigger tires
- Ability to have rear rack
- Comfortable steel frame
- Cyclocross frame/bars just in case I do cyclocross next fall...
- Low key paint job to avoid attracting too much attention
- Ability to go SS/fixie
- Geometry that will fit a 6'5" dude.

From what I've seen, the Surly Cross Check is what I'm looking for. I'm not too keen on the bar-end shifters, but can see the benefit of having them as shifters. In looking at the geometry of my road bike (2006 Specialized Tarmac) v. my commuter, the frame of the Cross 62cm is right in the middle of the both of them as far as the frame is concerned, and the components don't change this all that much. Plus, it's a local company, and I LOVE Surley brewing (though there is no affiliation.

So, are there other options I should check out, or just do the Cross Check as it has everything I need? Sure, some upgrades on the tires, and possibly go to 1x9 to decrease the moving parts, but does any other bike frame/company even contend with Surly?
It's hard to beat Surly for the money, especially if you want a steel frame. I have the LHT, and I love it, but when it comes time to get a new bike, I'm going to get the CC, because it's lighter. That is, if I'm able to wear the LHT out, which is an open question; after 3.5 years of 100 mile weeks in all weather, the thing is still in excellent shape.

The bar-end shifters are actually kind of nice, once you get used to them. The friction shifting option is really nice; you don't have to adjust the derailleur all the time, and it's especially nice if you have a triple chain ring up front.