View Single Post
Old 09-05-11, 11:51 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Why not a Cross Check for a commuter?

1- It's a little more challenging to mount a front rack. If you want to carry front panniers, you'll have to deal with the fact there are no fork eyelets on the Cross Check fork. I mounted a Jandd extreme front rack with the Jandd mounting hardware. It was such a pain, that I won't be removing the rack. If I had eyelets, I could easily remove it/put it back on. A work around for this is to buy a LHT fork and put it on your Cross Check. I just checked Surly's site and it looks like the new Cross Check complete comes with a fork that has rack eyelets.

2- I prefer the Cross Check's bar end shifters, so I don't see that as a negative. They have taught me to appreciate and efficiently use non-indexed shifting (I took mine out of indexed mode so I didn't have to fiddle with derailleur adjustments).

3- The LHT has built in extra-spoke carriers. As a big dude, you'll probably want to carry extra spokes.

4- My stock Cross Check wheels were pretty much worn out at 5500 miles.

5- I converted my front brake to an Avid V-brake using a travel agent. The front cantilever brake didn't have the stopping power I needed for a heavy commuting bike, particularly in inclement weather.

6- The Cross Check's wheel base is a tad short. The full coverage rear fender (Planet Bike Freddy Fenders) rubs on the front derailleur. It hasn't caused any shifting problems, so it's only a very minor annoyance. Perhaps a larger frame (mine is 55 cm) wouldn't have that issue.

7- It needs a Brooks saddle, Schwalbe Marathon tires, etc.

Overall, my Cross Check is a great year around commuter. I ride it, as well as a couple other bikes, and commute all year half-time. I have almost 8000 miles on my Cross Check.

Others that would probably fit the bill just fine would be the Salsa Casseroll, Thorn Raven, Bianchi Volpe, etc.

Last edited by hopperja; 09-05-11 at 11:55 PM.