Old 09-06-11, 04:56 AM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While it does appear that the number of teams is on a downturn, I would like to share my opinion that this is temporary. I think that that market for sponsors is shifting, and that its going to take a few year for the market to latch on to the sport. Those markets are East Asia, Australia, and North America.

Cycling is well headed into its strongest period ever in America. Once a few US races receive HC and WT status, I think there will be a shift towards the US in the next couple of years in advertising dollars. American companies are afraid to invest in cycling because the top tier of racing occurs on the other side of the Atlantic. That not a lot of time in the target audience of its sponsors. However with new races like the two Canadian Events, the Amgen, The USA Pro, the TD International, and the TO Utah, things are looking better for US exposure. Plus US riders are integrating themselves well into the pro peleton, with US riders winning races on multiple teams and in different places around the world. If these trends continue, US and North American Companies might be more willing to jump in with open wallets. TV coverage by Versus and other US companies is certainly helping as well. I feel so strongly about this in fact, that I feel the UCI feels threatened by the United States. The fact that Canada got 2 world tour events only one year after the events started, while the best US events are only considered 2.HC continental events after years of sucess is proof of this to me. I think the UCI knows that a shift west is imminent, and they are holding back the flood until the dam has to break.

And with countries like China getting involved with the Tour of Beijing, there will soon be plenty of new markets for cycling to tap into. Just look at the Green Edge team. With Cadel winning the TDF, and Australians in general jumping on the scene, many people in Australia are starting to take notice. If Goss or someone similar wins the worlds, then this will only continue the trend.

Lastly, the economy will improve eventually. And when it does people will be more willing to spend money. Cycling be much better when people have money again.