Old 09-06-11, 11:33 AM
ArtM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLawyer
Any bicycle advocates run into trouble with engineers claiming they are "practicing engineering" without a license by reviewing crash data, recommending facilities, etc?
I "practice" medicine when I review my child's symptoms and treat with OTC solutions, but am not, nor do I advocate being a doctor. I "practice" accounting when I do my taxes and balance my checkbook, but am not a CPA. I also am allowed to design an addition to my house even though I am not a licensed engineer (and I can build it as long as I can get it approved by the licensed engineers at the county). So, I should be able to review crash data and make recommendations as long as it is made clear that I am not a licensed engineer.

I think its a "buyer beware" situation for the user of the recommendation to decide if they value a concerned citizen vs. a licensed engineer. And, it behooves the engineer to explain why their recommendation is better.

PS - I also see a lot of legal advice given on internet forums from people that aren't lawyers. Ohio code defines "practicing engineering", which it looks like reviewing and recommending do not qualify.

Last edited by ArtM; 09-06-11 at 11:47 AM.