Old 09-06-11, 03:31 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
A digression: dealing with the rain

A few times in this narrative, my Gentle Readers may have noticed that four-letter word, "rain." Until recently, my rain jacket for use on the bike was a thin yellow Canari jacket. In the few times I've ridden in the rain in Philly, the rain soaked into the jacket -- but at least I didn't get stung by raindrops. Riding through a 90 degree summer shower, that's enough.

But I had checked the climate info on the area before I left: average highs in the mid-70s, and a pretty strong probability of showers. Wait a minute -- you mean rain can be cold and chilling instead of refreshing? This required a re-think.

A few days before I set out, I picked up a Showers Pass touring jacket. It's thick, and very waterproof. Ventilation doesn't come from some weird Goretex membrane -- instead, there are strategically placed zippers and vents. It's also got a huge flap that folds down covering one's backside even when leaning forward over the bike.

The thing just worked. I don't have a better way to describe it. Yes, it was hot, and I took it off when it wasn't raining. I'm not sure I'd want to wear it in a 90 degree Philly July shower. But for the weather I had, it was just great.

Other "rain gear" -- my usual Mt. Borah baggy shorts (the outer nylon "short" dried quickly, and the inner layer didn't get very wet); my usual Keen sandals (no socks to get wet!); and a shower cap over my helmet. Hey, it worked.