Old 09-07-11, 08:20 AM
RusticBohemian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm A Newbie. Can You Explain Gears And How Best To Use Them?

Hi.

I don't know a damn thing about gears, and was hoping for an explanation on how they work on how to best use them on my bike.

So here is what my bike, a hybrid, has, although I don't really know exactly what this means:

"Front chain rings with sizes 48/36/26, and a 9 speed cassette with cogs ranging from 11-32 teeth give the rider a wide range of gears to choose from whether ascending a steep climb, or bombing a fast downhill."
So I've determined that the three-sized gear area is controlled with the left gear shifter, and that the one with many speed gears (cassette?) is controlled by the right.

I get shifting up and shifting down make you go faster, etc.

What I don't get is how to decide when to do the three gear one and when to do the many geared one.

Its seems like you can make the same speed with different combinations 1 one on the 3 gear and a 5 on the multi gear, or a 3 on the big fear and a 1 on the multi gear. ...Not sure if that make sense.

So when do I use the 3 gear and when do I use the multi gear? One for downhill, one for flat, one for uphill?

Any starter advice on gears welcome.