View Single Post
Old 09-07-11, 11:40 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by bobn
How about the guy who lists an item and doesn't get any bites. Then he increases the price and doesn't get any bites. Then he increases the price again! I was waiting for the price to go down, not up. Go figure. I just gave up.
That's actually a proven tactic. I've seen items not sell at a low price, then sell when relisted for a higher price. Similarly, I've seen an item not get any bites for weeks with a "Buy it now" price not much higher than the staring bid, then once someone placed a bid, things snowballed and the bidding ended up going beyond the Buy it Now price. This happened on a frame I wanted to buy. I watched it not move for weeks as I hemmed and hawed over the Buy it Now price. I figured no one wanted it at that price, so I put a bid in instead, confident I could get it cheaper that way. Just before closing, the bidding shot $50 past the original BIN price. I also had that happen with an item I was selling on eBay, but it was a smaller item not worth much, and the final bid was only a few dollars over the BIN price I had set for it. Lesson: if the BIN price is reasonable and you want the item, just grab it, don't go all cheap and try to save a few dollars by foregoing the BIN price and underbidding.

Last edited by southpawboston; 09-07-11 at 11:43 AM.