View Single Post
Old 07-01-05, 03:13 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toddorado
I'm curious. As I have perused this forum for the past few months, I see many people with more than one bicycle. How did this happen for you? Was it necessity? Was it addiction (!)? Was it the need for an extra bike as the one you owned could not go everywhere?

I just bought a new road bike to slowly replace my Giant Rainier which has been my steadfast workhorse commute bike. Rode the roadie in this morning, and I didn't get that 'fits like a glove' feeling the Giant gives me. The speed was incredible, and I'll adjust, but it made me see the need for more than one bike as a necessity and an addiction. What do you think? Are three bicycles too many?
Ideally, I would own 3 bikes: a commuter road bike, a fixed gear, and a road racing bike. But I sold my fixed gear because I need the money to improve my racing bike. I'll undoubtedly build a new one soon.

The number of bikes I own is exceedingly fluid and sometimes isn't even an integer I buy 'em, fix 'em, upgrade 'em, sell 'em at a bit of a profit. That way my hobby is self sustaining. For example, at the moment I have several large boxes of random parts, a 1980s Japanese road bike in semi-assembled state (my next fixie-to-be?), and some 1970s Gitane which I'd love to get rid of.