Old 09-08-11, 08:39 PM
lighto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downtube Nova Rear Wheel Upgrade -- Fail...

Ok guys, I guess this is a story of measure twice cut once...

So I wanted to upgrade the gearing on my dowtube nova. Great, I head over to the downtube website for the spacing of the wheel I need:

130mm. Great!

So, I weigh my options, post a thread asking for opinions, and get an offer from a member offering to sell me the wheel off his nano. Fantastic!

A couple emails, and a paypal transaction later, the wheel arrives:

Wonderful!

... but wait a minute.. what's that white stuff? Is that the original rim tape? .. and why is there a tear in it?

A quick email later, and I find out, it's actually electrical tape (doh!). Ok, no worries.. I can just remove it and put some real rim tape on.

Hm.. in holes on the inner rim are pretty rough:

Some of the holes have really sharp burrs still intact. No matter.. I can sand it down, but wait... how come the valve hole is so small? It's sized for a presta valve instead of schrader! (fail #1)

The inner hole is actually big enough for a schrader, but outer hole is presta sized. All my tubes and spare tubes are schrader, and I don't want to carry two types of tubes for flat repairs.

No matter.. some research later, and it sounds like it's ok to enlarge the hole. Robin, get in the car, time to go shopping:

Rim tape, check. As close to 8mm drill bit as I can find, check.

(Continued on next post...)