View Single Post
Old 09-09-11, 12:06 PM
NoTrail
Trail Blazing

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Epic, Niner RLT 9 Steel, Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpatkinson
$500 for a decent frame (at least) + Alfine 11 @ $650 + dynamo already puts you @ $1250 ... the price starts to make sense.
I completely agree. I was getting ready to build a Civia Bryant into a flatbar commuter with the Alfine 11, dynamo, etc and it came to almost the exact price. Now I have a decision to make.

Originally Posted by ultramagnetic
... If you want to replace the rack with a real one, you'll also need to replace the rear fender.
I don't think that's the case. I think you would just upbolt the rack and add another one instead. The fender is still mounted as it normally would be, they just use it as a mount for the rack too. I actually thought about putting another rack just above this one and make that little gap a place for the U-Lock to slide in. Could be pretty sweet if it's done right.

Since I'm actually thinking about ordering a Specialzied Source Eleven for my next commuter, I'll be sure to take lots of pics and give a review.