Old 09-09-11, 03:12 PM
joebongo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie questions about fixing an old 70's/80's road bike.

Hi,

I've just got back into cycling after 20 years off and bought an old EG Bates bike (well I think it is but the lugwork isn't quite as ornate, but it's very very light).

I've built up to an 8 mile ride length and have experienced a couple of problems which I can't seem to fix easily.

1. The handlebars will roll downwards like they're loose if you push on them when riding. This came about as up until a week ago, they would creak a little when pulling on them when standing on pedals going uphill. I duly read up about it and greased the bar where it joins the stem and tightened the single allen bolt back up as tight as I can get it. But now it's far too easy to push them down which is a bad thing at speed downhill

2. The bolt holding the left pedal got loose after my long ride last Friday so I tightened it up but it got loose again. I reckon from searching this is new crank time.

3. Wheels are a little out of true but I've found a decent LBS to sort that and hopefully teach me how to do it next time.

4. Brakes are side pull oldies and despite a resetting of the cable and a dose of WD40 they still don't return properly on one side. Any thoughts?

Anyway I'm loving it and just need to get over these problems so I'm set for the autumn and winter.

Any advice would be appreciated