View Single Post
Old 09-14-11, 04:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Nice bicycle and my first question is how does it ride? If you are restoring or refurbishing the bicycle before test riding it, you might be making a big mistake. Vintage road bicycles are pretty fragile and often times experience frame or fork trauma (bent or out of true) that will negatively impact ride quality.

I always get my found bikes ride-able first and then ride them before spending any money on them. Failure to do so might result in great disappointment, as was the case with my first attempt at restoration/refurbishment. That bicycle, Big Green, was too big for me, sported a bent frame and was of minimal entry level value. I spent way too much on something I could not ride or sell to someone who did fit the bicycle.

So, ride it first and not just for two minutes. Get to know the bike over a few rides and then, if you like it, build away. You will appreciate the experience and, possibly, save yourself a great deal of grief and cash.

Hope this is a help.