View Single Post
Old 09-15-11, 08:54 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
thanks for the feedback! Several new things to check. I have new pedals ordered and on the way as well as a new bottom bracket bearing cups. I bought the pedals severely used (and very cheap) and have been hearing clicking from them despite oiling. I figured I would go ahead and replace the bearings too while I doing junk. I don't think this particular noise is coming from the pedals, I hear when they click and pop and this is definitely coming from a different place.

Tunnelrat, you may be onto something, I have thought before that the sound is similar to the sound of the cassette freewheeling the way it resonates. If I remember right, this started some time after I replaced the cassette a while back. It could be that its not tightened on properly.

The wheels are fairly new (less than a year old) velocity road hubs and velocity rims with DT Swiss double butted stainless spokes. (I think I got all that right)
If it did happen shortly after replacing the cassette, did you check to see if you need the 1mm spacer? It's easy to know if you need one because the lockring will become tight "SMOOTHLY." If this happens, it means that your lockring is tightening down on the freehub body, NOT the cassette, which is bad. You'll know that your cassette is properly installed if TWO conditions are met.

1st: With the cassette sitting on the freehub body (before installing the lockring), the smallest cog should be engaging the splines. This ensures that it's on far enough.

2nd: If when tightening the lockring, you feel increasingly strong "indexes" as the lockring tightens. This ensures that the cassette is secured properly. If you don't feel the indexes,
you need to add as spacer to the spline before sliding the cassette on. That added space will cause the lockring to tighten against the cassette, NOT the freehub body.

-Jeremy