Old 09-16-11, 02:59 AM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metzenberg
My question is ... why do you want a generator light? LEDs use so little electricity now that you can get a lot of battery life to run a set of 3V LEDs from two AA or AAA batteries, which are cheap and available everywhere. I think the generators are obsolete. And that's my experience too, because back in the day, I owned several bikes with generators.
Most of my bikes have generator hubs because, regardless of how long modern LEDs last with batteries, the generator lasts much, much longer. And generator-powered lights are smaller and can be more permanently attached to the bike, making them less attractive targets for thieves. Finally, a good modern hub generator like the SONdelux puts out enough power to run a light that's far brighter than most battery-powered lights.

For me, though, the main advantage of generator lights is not having to think about them. If I stay at work later than planned and have to ride home in the dark, I never have to worry about whether I brought a light or whether the batteries are flat. When I'm riding on a busy road, I can run the lights during the day to increase my visibility to drivers, without having to calculate whether that will leave me without lighting when it gets dark.

To the original poster: which lights are you considering, and what do you mean by "rare"? B&M lights are carried by Peter White Cycles (also the US importer) and by many other retailers, like Harris Cyclery, who ship nationwide. Of course most local bike shops don't carry them, but that's true of most specialty bike products. They are more expensive than getting them from a cut-rate German dealer, but I find that the peace of mind that comes from having local warranty service is worth the extra cost. When the standlight failed on my IQ Cyo R headlight about six months after I bought it, Peter White replaced it immediately, no questions asked.