Old 09-17-11, 12:11 PM
amckimmey

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
This is not true in my experience. It was very difficult to remove decals from a 2006 LHT, without damaging the underlying powdercoat. I removed all 8 decals, and not a single one peeled right off. They came off in numerous small pieces, only after a lot of scrapping with a plastic-edged tool, or my fingernails. Metal edges are too hard, they will gouge the soft powdercoat. The decals were largely impervious to gasoline, paint thinner, adhesive remover, and acetone. I had to scrape and buff those suckers off, and it took hours. I have removed decals from other bikes - some came off easily, others not at all. The decals on my Litespeed dissolved in seconds with a few wipes of acetone on a cloth. The Surly was a real chore.

Originally Posted by Six jours
I base the comment on a Steamroller I had a few years back. The stickers peeled right off leaving just a bit of residue, which was easily removed with Goof-Off. Whole thing took less than 30 minutes. Either I was lucky or you weren't.
I work at a car dealership for years, we had to take off other dealers stickers off trade-ins all the time. It almost always helped to use a little heat. We had a nice heat gun, but a decent blow drier should work. Also if you are trying to get the stickers off 3months after buying it, after it's sat in the sun for days. It will be harder to get off. Everything Surly is heavy duty.