SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just An Ordinary Bike Thief

On one very rare day, I actually drove to San Francisco (that's not something one should do, due to its superior ticketing efficiency). I found a place to park in one of its suburban districts and caught the MUNI to San Francisco's Civic Center main public library.

After my library research, I decided to return to my vehicle. While waiting at the bus stop, I noticed a middle-aged Asian-looking gentleman, very conservatively dressed in a suit and tie, waiting for the bus as well. He asked me if I had an extra smoke. I gladly informed him that I did not smoke and then quickly complimented him on his very unique and beautifully designed silk tie. He thanked me for the compliment and then we began talking small talk. Most of our conversation revolved around the economy and unemployment.

Finally, he intimated to me that he was an unemployed dot.com guy from silicon valley. He admited that he had fallen on bad times and was currently looking for employment. I asked if he was just coming from an interview. He responded by saying that he was just dressed that way, not to draw attention to himself. I thought..." Dressed this way, how could he NOT draw attention to himself!" He then went further into telling me that he was a bike thief. He then began to tell me about the many different types of bike thieves and how organized they all are. He also pointed out a fellow bike thief, as the thief walked across Larkin street. They mutually nodded at one another, to confirm familiarity. In the middle of the conversation, he asked if I could spare any change. I told him that I would have to get change. I then asked him if he would accompany me to the nearby Burger King for change. He gladly agreed and we were on our way, walking. He continued his revelation all about bicycle theft. I treated him to lunch at Burger King. All the while he continues chatting about his second career.

At one point, another one of his bicycle friends enters into the Burger King. He joins into the conversation. This new guy, then tells me that he's from Portland and he too eventually admits that he is also a bike thief and a recovering heroin addict, as well. He then tells me that he used to support his $400 per day addiction, by stealing bikes. They both then begin to tell me how different bike thieves steal bikes and how all the locks can be compromised.

What really amazed me was the fact that some bike thieves always operate alone. Some bike thieves only operate with assistance and are usually in a gang. Also, some bike thieves do both. Whenever they don't have assistance, they go it alone!
Different bike gangs sometimes swap parts with one another.

Also...some gangs steal bikes, sometimes...and bike gangs, steal bikes all the time!

When this guy finished talking to me, I felt like perhaps I would be lucky to get out of there alive, with all of the dark information he had just revealed to me. However, he was friendly, mannerable, and educated. Also, he was this well-dressed, distinguished-looking, Asian guy!

Who would ever suspect him of being just an ordinary bicycle thief!

Well that just goes to show..."You can't judge a book by its cover"!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 09-17-11 at 04:29 PM.