Old 09-17-11, 07:03 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by palesaint
Your body craves what it gets large doses of. Chocolate, beer, gummy bears, meat - if you go crazy with it you will adapt and that large amount becomes a normal baseline. Your perceived increasing of endurance and strength is a mostly-false justification.
Lemme tell you something: when I push myself to the point of physical pain and then collapse 2/3 of the way into a push-up under controlled, timed conditions because my muscles just don't have the capacity, that is not "perceived." That is "measured." As I put the final sets up as exhaustion, I'm pretty sure I have a measurable baseline.

When I bike, I notice what makes it easier/faster. Those days I suddenly find my commute far easier come in two forms:
  • When I'm munching a Builder every other day
  • After an extra long ride (i.e. a 30 mile ride one day, just because I have **** to do and it's a lot of miles between), I suddenly have extra endurance after a day's rest

The second one makes sense. The first one doesn't because, as you say, protein intake isn't the kind of thing that demands maximization. I'm probably already up there... and yet when I throw a Builder bar on top, somehow it makes a visible difference.

This makes no sense. Something else is going on here and I'm unsure what. What are these things made of? Soy and chocolate? Chocolate isn't nutrition.