Old 09-18-11, 12:57 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an older guy who dresses slightly conservatively yet I always try to have a youthful spin on my presentation.
For some reason, most people see me as I am, friendly and innocuous. My ears have been completely bent out of shape by more mentally distraught housewifes, the suicidal, the victims of discrimination, the unemployed, etc..
-And most of these people spilled their guts to me in private, yet in public places.

Anyway, with this guy, it started out being quite private. However, while in Burger King, the conversation became quite lively at one point and the Portland guy became shamelessly boisterous! Even I felt embarrassed, and wasn't a thief!

Well, to answer your question- The consensus seemed to be that most people use such lousy locks that regular bolt cutters get most jobs done. The average bike thief carries both bolt cutter and wire cutters. They try to carry bags that will cloak their bolt cutters, because they would prefer to carry the largest ones that they can, without bringing too much unwanted attention to themselves. They told me that still many people will spend $500-$700 on a bicycle, and then use a thin $10.00 cable lock to secure their bike. They really thought that was funny as they each broke out into uncontrollable laughter. Also they told me that no U-lock can escape a hacksaw with the proper blade, the right location, and adequate time. The portable angle saw remains the top solution for most tough locks. These guys had even a better tool for expensive bikes locked in highly populated areas. They use liquid nitrogen, a small sledge hammer, a chisel, a van, and a small "work crew". The black guy from Portland, was already wearing some type of a really bright multi-colored apron that you sometimes see construction workers wear.

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 09-26-11 at 10:45 AM.