SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
So what did they reveal to you? I mean, you had this hour-long conversation with two professional bike thieves. What did you glean from this? What makes one bike more of a target than the next one in the rack?
These guys stated that they look for the most expensive bike with the crappiest lock. They usually try to quickly peruse the bikes so as not to bring attention to themselves. They then walk around the block on their cell phones and discuss the proper "mark", or bike to be selected. They then grab the proper tool from the van and return to the mark. They waste no time in going directly at the lock. In most cases a small bolt cutter will work. They then quickly ride the bike back to the van. Sometimes, the van waits while the cutter cuts for fast and easy loading of the stolen bike.

If they work alone, they usually carry a backpack that houses the bolt-cutter. They drive to various areas where there are many bikes to choose from, they park a block or two away from the bike. They then walk to the bike area and select a bike. They then immediately go to work on the lock. Once the lock has been compromised, they ride the bike to their parked vehicle and place the bike inside.

They usually sell their bikes to flea-markets, college students, and to certain people who run "blackmarket" bicycle and/or pawn shops. Apparently they have no problem unloading their mobile booty to many bar patrons, as well. They told me one story where a college student bought a bike back from them that they had originally stole from him. They just told him that they bought the bike from some guy on campus for ten bucks, and they just wanted to make a profit by selling it for seventy bucks. They ended up making this guy spend fifty bucks, just to get his own bike back.

Also, these guys stated that they do use Craigslist, but they do it in a way that you can't detect them. I asked about it, but they wouldn't divulge that information.

Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 09-26-11 at 10:49 AM.