Old 09-20-11, 08:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Just got some NOS(?) hubs, do I need to service them?

So due to an apparent difference of opinion between me and an ebay seller about what the term "Brand New" means (and me not looking closely at the picture), which has been explored in another thread, instead of a recently manufactured shimano 105 hubset, I have a set of hubs from the mid 90's that may or may not be NOS (kinda scuffed/scratched decals, need to talk with the seller about what condition they really are, ie does "Brand New" to him mean he never built them up and they've been sitting in a drawer for 15 years?). But that's really not the point of this question.

I now have a set of hubs FH-1056 (rear) and HB-1055 which according to that german database of shimano parts were manufactured sometime between 1992 and 1998. If they truly are NOS and have just been bouncing around in this guy's drawer for the last 15-20 years, am I going to have to take them apart and service them before building them up as the grease may have dried out/gotten contaminated by drawer dust, or should they be good to go because they've never been used?

I've never built a wheel or serviced a hub before, so I lack the tools associated with servicing the hub (cone wrenches, right?) or any of the necessary, experience.

Aargh, wishing I hadn't been tantilized by what seemed like a screaming deal and had just bought the recently manufactured tiagra hubs I saw available from a source trusted for $10-15 cheaper when shipping is considered that while a lower level in name being 3-4 generations newer are probably at least comparable in quality and wouldn't have needed servicing right off the bat.