cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
echoing all of the above...
over the years I've tried a number of different disciplines.
not directly aimed at cycling, rather overall health, flexibility, body and mind control.

The practices which I find least helpful to me are the 'flow' vinyasa flow hatha classes.

Most move way too fast for me to develop a good inner focus or get the full benefit of any asana. Lotta people like these, but to me they're sortta counterproductive.
I prefer to be in an asana until I become that balance point of relax/strength/flexibility.
'Flow' might be fine for a very flexible young woman, but not for a 60+ old guy who is a jumble of broken parts.

iyengar - good stuff for really learning asanas and their underlying purpose.
yoga is as much (maybe more) about the connection of asanas and how they collectively affect you, rather than the individual doing of a pose.

hence a good class and instructor is lightyears better than any instruction media. IMO
I'm very fortunate to have a variety of good yoga in my area.
and developing a personal practice outside of 'class' structures is a good way to making yoga a cornerstone of your daily life.
I started doing it as a tool towards improving other things, but over the years it has become a 'thing' unto itself. My only regret is not having found it sooner in my life.