Old 09-20-11, 01:06 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen55
I think I'm starting to understand.
I'm not sure anyone mentioned this yet, but generally speaking you want to pretty much stay in hte same chainring in front and do most of yuor shifting using the rear. The reason is that the difference in gearing is much larger in front.

Most new riders do not thnk of shifting gears when stopping and starting. It is a good idea to downshift when coming to a stop, that way you can start in a lower gear. (Heck for a new rider it is also good practice).

DO NOT shift when stopped. The shifting system is designed for use when moving. Modern shifters are very forgiving, but shift a few gears when stopped and yuo can have problems starting. You can shift when stopped by lifing the rear wheel and then spining the gears using one foot.

It is also a good idea when comming to a hill to get in the right chainring in front. Much easier to get in a smaller front ring before the hill than half way up when you realize you have run out of gears in back.

Also for Clydes is is even more important on uphills to shift BEFORE you have to. Keep in a comfortable gear when climbing. If yuo find you have energy left you can upshift and work the last part extra hard. Much better than being in too high a gear and running out of gas.