Old 09-20-11, 06:39 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ninja Skateboarders; Is this some new trend?

We have entered the "dark times" here in New England. This is to say that after Labor Day, the sun sets fast, and "real country dark" comes quickly. Those of us who like to ride in the evening, simply adapt and make the required adjustments. A good headlight, tail light, reflective material, etc.

So, on last night's right, I saw a skateboarder, moving along on his board, right down the carriage lane of Commonwealth ave. It was almost full dark, and this guy had no reflective material to speak of. I saw him easily in my headlight beam though. Still, a driver exiting from a cross street might not see him at all. Then, a few miles on, I saw two more of these ninja boarders. These were rolling along on Auburndale Ave, near West Newton. Locals know that Auburndale ave is narrow, quite curvy, and poorly lit in some areas. And there they were, rolling right down the middle of the lane. Both of these specimens were college age. They looked right at my headlight, in some sort of shock and amazement.

So,,, Is this some new trend? Ninja skateboarding on well traveled roads, after dark.
This has to do with cycling in that they could present a hazard for us night time riders.
You hardly see rollerbladers anymore, but on the occasion when I did see them at night, they would usually be wearing something reflective.

Thoughts and opinions?