Old 09-21-11, 11:52 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratdog
In this case, is that best in class for performance or perception? Let's not anoint them so quickly, they (Tern) haven't even rolled out their bikes yet.
The folder market is a small teeny weeny pie in the big picture of bike sales. So it's a niche play. But Dahon is not a small teeny weeny player. It has a huge market share on the folder market, so it is difficult for other folder players smaller than Dahon to break into some of their core sales group. Not to say that they hadn't tried hard enough. However, when they are slowly nibbling over huge market share by having models to eat into the outskirt of their model lines and if Dahon does not do anything about it, sooner or later Dahon will cease to exist as a company. I suspect David Hon and Josh Hon know this, but to each on their own have different visions where they want to take the new vision to restore their lead in this niche market. That vision is emphasized on Thor's (Mr. Meister's) signature line!

They know they aren't going to win over a ton of brownie points, because they are NOT playing into what you want. But that's your current vision; not what the future may hold. It takes guts, lots of guts to play the future. The competition can play whatever song and dance they want to tell you different. But at the end of the day, who maintains the largest market share of folding still counts. Just like sports and golf. Tiger Woods can play whatever excuses he wants to claim he's still the best. But honestly, people look at the score board and he's not at the top as he was. Name itself does not buy leadership if you don't show results!

Just take a look at the Dahon Jifo 16. Currently only single speed offered, but I suspect that this might become a platform for a complete new line if this sells well. Maybe next with a SRAM A2, SA3x, Alfine 11 etc... Who knows.

Just take a look at the Tern Verge and Eclipse range. When I looked at those hinges on the frame and handle post, I finally vent a sigh of relief when someone puts an effort to improve ride quality on folding bikes. To take it to the next generation.

I suspect that these 2 visions conflict in the same company, so 2 companies are better to pursue their own unique visions and base future products on that new platform. This is HOW a business survive to continue its existence longer into the future. Many of you play the now in vogue vision and accept what works best today will continue into the future. We have seen companies that seize to exist because of that.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 09-21-11 at 11:57 AM.