View Single Post
Old 09-22-11, 10:28 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
But what didn't i check?! the rear quick release. I remember now that i took off the wheel to put new tires on the bike, it looked like it was tightened, but i wasn't enough. So when i got up to stand pedal and give her hell, the rear wheel came loose and locked up inside the rear trangle and the next thing i knew, i was on an Air Canada flight, destination pain/pavement.
I have heard of folks leaving the rear Q/R not locked down on purpose when they do not have a bike lock with them and have to run into a store or something.

As explained to me the thinking was if someone jumped on the unattended bike to steal it they would also become a 'bike flipper' not the good kind but the 'endo' kind.

I would not try that tactic myself as I might forget to lock the Q/R back down when I got back on the bike and be doing the 'endo type flipping' myself'.

I know of an instance some years back where a very experienced cyclist forgot to secure his front wheel Q/R ,took off down the road and soon came upon railroad tracks which he tried to bunny hop over. Not a good outcome. If I remember correctly he had a concussion, broken collar bone, several cracked ribs, and lots of road rash.

He later was told that even though he was 'out of it' he strongly resisted the ambulance drivers until they put his bike sans the missing front wheel in the ambulance with him. As I recall he never recovered that front wheel.
I expect ever since he is fanatical about checking his Q/R's b4 a ride.

I guess stories like that are the reason for some of the 'lawyer lips' & front wheel retention devices are on some forks.

May you heal quickly.