Old 09-23-11, 03:33 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
Beautiful bike! I wouldn't repaint it, it just needs a good cleaning and waxing. Replacement decals are readily available. It's hard to say what's been switched out over time. Did Record front derailleurs even exist in 1962? I was expecting Gran Sport. Also the BB cable guide on mine has the little tube through it - the earlier type which I would have expected as well. Personally I would throw a Cinelli stem on there, it being a Cinelli and all. Also when did the "Wolf Ears" disappear from the lugs? Yours does not have them. What's the BCD on those cranks? Anyway it looks like you're riding it and enjoying it, which is what it's all about, it's awesome.

But... lose the kickstand!
Record front was available in '60-'61 I believe, Record rear about '63. I think IAB is right on the money with a '64 estimate on this one. "Wolf Ear" lugs were out by '60 or earlier. Of course I always figure +/- a couple of years and never say "always" when discussing older Italian racing bikes and parts. Having to know an exact year of something is not important to me, and I'm sure it was not important to the people who made, sold, and raced these bikes in the day.

And yes, loose the kickstand!!