Old 09-23-11, 04:50 PM
ParkingTheBus

Bikes: Multiple GIANT bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Opinions: Should I get into Road Cycling? Is it worth it?

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question but I just wanted to get some opinions from the "pros" and the big boys.

I am 18 years old, and currently taking a year off of school (attending college next year). I have been into cycling for about 8 months now. I currently own a performance hybrid bike which I use to get me to my destinations and have about 800 km clocked on it. I occasionally take it on recreational rides but my options are limited as it's not THAT fast (my average speed is about 18 mph) and I often get fatigued due to the upright riding position.

I was thinking of getting a road bike to occupy my time until I go back to school and to get into shape. If I get one, I won't be riding competitively.. just solo long rides and stuff of that sort. I enjoy cycling, but want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

So my essential questions are:

Is a road bike worth getting for the "recreational rider"? How much do I need to ride it to make it worth it?
How much faster and efficient is a road bike over a hybrid bicycle?
What brand/type of road bike should I get? I'm working with no bills to pay, so I'm looking to spend in the 1000-1700 range.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much in advance.