Thread: Bike rack
View Single Post
Old 09-25-11, 08:22 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbnomore
In my experience with Thule fork-mount roof racks, as long as you buy the lock cores (SKS locks), you have double the securement. The Saris Bones is also quality. The deciding factor for me would be frame material of your bikes (if carbon, roof rack for sure).
I would also add security to concerns about Saris Bones (or most trunk racks). I use one regularly, and it is a great rack for transporting - stable and secure, easy to attach, easy to store. But, note that the rack is NOT solidly secured/ locked to the vehicle, in most cases (if nothing else, a thief can cut the straps holding the rack to the car). I worry every time I park my car with the bike on the rack. I do lock the bike to the rack to discourage 'opportunity crimes' but if you have a really pricey/flashy ride or live/frequent less than stellar neighborhoods, I'd go with something more secure, like a hitch or roof rack.

I have a hitch rack and it is more secure, but a little bit of a PITA (harder to store, heavier, only goes on a vehicle with a class 3 or better hitch). However, it is locked into the hitch, and it is easy to lock the bike to the rack itself. Again, not 100% security, but cutting that rack off the car would be far more difficult.