Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by powerhouse
There is the common saying that bicyclists have the same rights on the same roads. Some bicyclists also believe in "taking the lane" With my luck with tour buses, it seems neither belief works. Those are my thoughts.
I am one of those cyclists' that feels strongly about 'taking the lane'. I have been hit twice, when I stupidly broke my own rule, and road 'in the gutter'. Neither incident involved any kind of bus. When I have a bus behind me, regardless of Tour/School/Public Transportation, I continue to 'take the lane'. Near my house, there are two local public transportation bus routes along with a school bus that go on a two-lane blacktop. When I am on the two-lane blacktop, I will get passed by a bus, but they have to break the law to do it. Because I basically make them cross over the double-yellow line into oncoming traffic to pass me.

I know the bus is around five tons but, I also know the bus driver won't risk hitting me with passengers/students on board.

Cyclists' have a legal right to ride on the road. It is in the state traffic code. By 'taking the lane', a cyclist is not only asserting their right to ride on the road and, keeping themselves from being run into the curb. If a motorist passes close when 'taking the lane', they will still have room to keep the motorist from hitting them, without being shoved into the curb.