Old 09-27-11, 08:57 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
If you want the now hard to find "period correct" looking brake cables, the clear plastic covered one with the visible silver flat wound spring and black plastic liner in it, A BMX seller at Ebay had them for sale since last year. I got myself a set and they exactly match the original ones on my 84 PSV. You can always upgrade the cables in them to something more modern if you want to.
I forgot the name of the seller, but it still might come up if you do a search for "BMX clear brake cables"...maybe. I had the business card that came with the cables, I'll see if I can still find it and get back with you...It was cheap too, something like 15 bucks a set, IIRC.....or you can also get the much more expensive CLB aluminum casing cable set presently on sale at eBay.....
For tubular tires, I find Vittoria Rallys are good enough for everyday use as long as you don't get one with a crokked tread strip or a lumpy basetupe under the valve. They tend to vary greatly in quality from tire to tire, so go through a store's stock and a couple of good ones might come up. For a nicer lighter/plusher ride I also like the lower mid priced Schwalbe Milanos. Much lighter and better quality than the Vittoria Rallies, but less puncture resistant as it does not have a Kevlar reinforcing strip. Skinwalls preferrably, of course!
BTW, fine Peugeot you got there. I'd be more envious though if it was my size. Fortunately it looks too big. You did very well on the price too, I suspect it could have easily cost more than double what you paid for at $250, in that condition. That price usually only gets you a similar condition lower model PGN with 501 tubing.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 09-27-11 at 09:09 AM.