View Single Post
Old 09-27-11, 05:18 PM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm at a 3-way intersection...

I'm headed west on the bridge crossing a major highway. To my right is the southbound service road traffic, and straight ahead is the eastbound traffic. Its a three way stop.

I stopped first, then the southbound car (who was turning right (west)) stopped second, then the eastbound car third. What caught my attention was the eastbound car had their left turn blinker on, indicating that they wanted to turn northbound, the wrong way against traffic.

The southbound car turned right, and I proceeded through the intersection, all while paying most of my attention to the car with their blinker on.

Just as I started moving forward, I watched as a pickup truck, headed southbound, barely tapped his brakes at the stop sign then tried doing a VERY sharp left hand turn... into me. I swerved to my left, in front of the (stopped) car trying to go the wrong way, and I looked back at the pickup truck.

He had already slammed on his brakes and was completely stopped, about 7-10 feet into the intersection, and probably 10 feet from me.

That's when he did it.

His window was down. Out came his arm. Next I heard him yelling.

"I'M SOOOOOOOORRY!!" he yelled as he gave me a friendly wave and a nervous smile.

I grinned, gave a quick wave and kept peddling through the intersection.

We're all human and we all fu** up. Sometimes sh** happens. Its how you handle it that matters. They guy made a mistake, caught himself before anyone got hurt, and then apologized. That's all I can ask for from another human being.

I hate reading about how a lot of folks feel like all cagers are idiots and they all want to kill us. That's the wrong kind of attitude to have. Look me in the eye and tell me you've never made a mistake that could have gotten someone else hurt, and I'll call you a liar to your face.

Live and let live, kumbaya, shut up and ride.

Last edited by stdlrf11; 09-27-11 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarify