Old 09-29-11, 06:44 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Singlespeed - any limitations; other newb questions

I have a Masi singlespeed that I ride with lights when it's dark, on wet roads, and in winter when the roads are free of salt/snow. It's basically my 'other' bike that I ride when it isn't a nice day.

Last winter (I live outside of Toronto) I only road a few times from late December to early March due to snow. This winter I would like to ride more often, but I'm not sure what surfaces I should plan to ride. There is a rail trail I can get to, so when the snow is compressed it's a nice option with no hills, there are also wide multi-use paths though I assume they're salted in winter. I'm not sure if I'm better to try my hand at the rail trail, wide multi-use paths, roads (country roads...but worried about cars in snowy conditions), etc. I would like to avoid corrosion due to salt, but I also don't mind wiping things down after a ride. I have the clothes to handle temps down to about -5c (or colder if not too windy). I could also get studded tires if they can hold up on a rail trail (I'm assuming wouldn't work great in inches of powder, or when iced with foot prints, etc.).

Been reading the forums here (and will continue to) but not sure what I should try when the snow sets in (or if I should start looking into studded tires).

Thanks in advance for any tips!