Old 07-05-05, 02:04 PM
ae9228

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best bike for a person with a back hernia?

Hi!, I am new to the forum. So far I have read many threads and I am very impressed with the conscious and objective relpies you guys post

I am 31 years old (5'6") 160 pds guy who has always practiced sports. I am from Costa Rica so I have always played soccer. Unfortunately, I have been diagnosticated with a low back disk hernia so I am currently receiving therapy to see if I can avoid surgery (last option). Hopefully, I will be back to sports in sbout 1-2 months, however, my doctor has advices me to leave soccer and I am in the need of finding a new sport for me!

My father has been mountain biking for almost 3 years now, he is in great shape and I am thinking in staring to ride with him. Given my back issue, I cannot decide which bike would be better for me. Would appreciate if you can clarify me the following:

1. I know that FS bikes are more soft to ride, but are also lot more expensive.... is it really that much difference?.. I am not planning to do any downhill or very thoug rides, but I am to have a smooth ride for my back
2. From a maintainance standpoint... how much more $$ does a FS represents against a hardtail? (let's say monthly) riding about 60-70 miles per week
3. my budget is near 1000-1200 USD... bikes in Costa Rica cost more than in the US. If I find a very nice deal on the web I might consider to buy it qand ship it to CR. Can you recommend me a trusty on line store???.... any bike recommendation??? (given my needs)

Thanks for any help, advice for me!!.... greetings