Old 10-02-11, 11:34 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I agree, looks like it had a bad red repaint at one time. Looks to be a typical entry level, internally brazed frame that Peugoet sold form the 80's to the early 90's. The semi sloping fork crown tells me it's at least mid 80's or later, most likely made from Peugeot "HLE" high tensiile steel tubing.
A good solid looking Peugoet from that time, but I do want to note that the addition of that big alen headded bolt under the bottombraket is a crappy thing to do to the bike. See if you can take it off. Please note that the rear derailleur cable should be moved over to it's own BB guide groove. that lines up with the bottom of the right chainstay. It might have popped off its groove when the bike was shipped. The cables will start fraying if you don't put them on their separate guide grooves asap.
BTW, what's that weird thing that looks like a bolt on the left side of the head tube, a "ZerK" fitting to grease the steering bearings??. Most likely a mod by the PO, as I never saw that on any Peugeot.....uhmmmmm........ there could be a pound of grease between the head tube and steerer tube that you really do not want in there. I'd check the head tube if this is the case and avoid suing that Zerk fitting to greas the head bearings. Just leave it on there as a "conversation piece".......... Is that grease coating that bolt and the bottom of the BB???..... Now I'm wondering if the PO added that big allen headed bolt to the BB to seal the drain hole to keep in the grease that might have worked it's way downward from the head area to the BB shell. there had been many cases of C&Ver's finding pounds and pounds of grease in their frames from goofy, misguided mods like the Zerk fitting on the head tube. A full exploratory dissasembly of the bike asap, would be prudent.
Don't worry, the fork's not bent, frame looks straight and the bike's complete. I think can easily be cleaned and adjusted to ride for many more years on the road!

Have fun with the Peugeot!

Chombi

+1.

bemico, this website is you free online source.